Wednesday, August 19, 2009

See, this is why night classes suck

Last fall semester I took College Algebra as a night class after work. So far so good.

I actually hadn't taken a math class since my Junior year of high school, during which I took one semester of Trig and essentially said, "fuck it, I don't need this shit." Not because it was hard, really; it was just kind of boring and two hours of homework every night. And that was (Jesus) seven years ago WTF.

So. With College Algebra under my belt and a nice long break from taking night classes, I want to take College Trig. There are three colleges within a reasonable distance of my home and work. I have exactly one other caveat: I can't go to class on Wednesdays, I have other commitments. All three colleges have exactly one section of Trig that meets in the evening. All three are MW approx. 7-9:30.

Don't these places talk to each other? And who wants to do Trig until 9:30 at night anyway?

Now the question is, am I willing to take Survey of Calculus instead? You don't need Trig for it, it's not a prereq for anything else, and it's billed as 'for liberal arts majors,' so it's pretty clear it's dumbed-down. Is some math better than no math? And why do I care, I can't pretend I'm not a liberal arts major.

No comments:

Post a Comment